Your liver is the largest internal organ in your body. Responsible for over 500 different functions in your body, it works tirelessly to keep you healthy. The three-pound organ filters everything you consume, ushers toxins safely out of the body, regulates your blood sugar levels, stores extra sugar in the form of glycogen, and converts excess carbohydrates and protein for later use. As if that’s not enough, it also generates bile, breaks down old blood cells, stores iron, and stores clotting molecules for the blood.
Your liver is one mean versatile machine, which makes it all the more important to take extra care of it. If you don’t, you’re risking incurring toxin buildup, making your liver incapable of carrying out its functions well. You will be doing your body a favor if you perform a liver detox once in a while to keep the organ in perfect working condition.
What is a liver detox?
A liver detox or a liver cleanse is the act of reducing the liver’s exposure to harmful substances that can overload it. The good news is that your liver is self-sufficient, capable of renewing and regenerating itself as needed. Doing a detox is just an extra step to making sure that your liver is functioning well. It involves taking supplements designed to flush out toxins, going on a juice fast, and eating a liver-friendly diet.
Signs that you need a liver detox
You don’t always need to do a liver detox, but there are symptoms that you may experience that can tell you when it’s time to go on one. The signs include:
- Constipation despite implementing a fiber-rich diet
- Feeling tired or fatigued all the time
- Having difficulty sleeping at night
- Having trouble losing weight
- Feeling signs of depression
- Getting frequent headaches
- Experiencing acne breakouts
- Having diarrhea or excessive gas
Benefits of a liver detox
Detoxing often gets a bad rap because it’s often associated with fad diets that don’t really help the body. But when liver detox is done the right away, it can yield a lot of benefits, including:
- Energy boost: When you regularly consume sugar, caffeine, and processed foods, you’ll be more inclined to feel drained and fatigued. Putting a stop to eating these things will give you the energy boost you need to be more productive.
- Enhanced immune system: Since the liver eliminates toxins in your body, it’s crucial to a robust immune system. Doing a detox lets your liver perform its best, which, in turn, enhances your immunity to illnesses.
- Increased vitality: Cleansing the liver restores it to peak efficiency. When you get rid of all the toxic buildup, your skin will look brighter and healthier. You’ll also tone your body easier, thanks to the promotion of bile production that aids in fat breakdown.
- Aids in weight loss: Detoxing the liver allows it to metabolize fats better and improves hormonal balance. When your hormones are a mess, it results in excess weight being stored in the body. A cleanse can definitely help reverse that.
Ready to do a liver cleanse? We offer a variety of detox supplements that can help whip your liver back into tip-top shape. Check out our collection.